The bit you should read.

I’ve always been an angler and after around the country moving I wanted to discover and document the best places to fish (where ever I might be) in the way of rivers, lakes, canals and ponds. When previously fishing in South Wales I often fished in club and winter league matches, however living up north presented me with new challenges, venues and angling clubs that I acquainted myself with. Now down in the South West I plan to do the same.

This fishing blog details my angling adventures around the UK (although depending where I am in the country I also sea fish from both Boat and Shore, Carp, Pike and Fly fish). I will be giving a summary of 3 values considered by most anglers as well as the additional Disabled Access rating. Since being diagnosed with CIDP and regaining my motor function Disabled angling and Disabled access is now something I always consider when visiting venues. They will all be rated on a scale of 1* to 5*;

1. Fishability *****

2. Accessability *****

3. Value for Money *****

4. Disabled Access *****

I think these 4 points are the key issues which are readily identifiable with all anglers. Feel free to take a look and add your own comments along the way!

Monday 12 September 2011

Tackle Store Review – Kirkgate Angling, Tackle2U



From the outside Kirkgate Angling, Tackle2U the store looks a little bit run down but crammed full of gear. When you walk into the store it’s less run down than the outside lets on, but it’s absolutely full with fishing equipment. With rods on racks, reels in cabinets, ground bait on shelves and rig bits and bobs all over the walls. I’ve visited the shop previously but only for a quick bait pick up. This time I was taking my pole section to be repaired and although very nervous when I handed my section over to be chopped down, after 5 minutes it was handed back expertly repaired.





I was very impressed how quickly my section was repaired, and even more impressed with the tips and advice I was getting while I picked up some additional hooks and groundbait. Advice ranging from fisheries to Stonfo connectors and from doubled up elastic to how to make paste (wheat gluten is key apparently). It was all very interesting and helpful getting some in depth information by a local match angler who even recommended a few new (to me) venues.


Of the staff I met, 2 were extremely helpful. There was an elderly man who was slightly less interested and a little bit abrupt but that can be over looked by the helpfulness of the other 2. As far as the equipment is concerned there are a lot of things going on. From float fishing (both stick and waggler), feeder equipment and a multitude of pole fishing equipment. There is also a fair selection of monofilament (High tech and reel line), rig making bits and Pike fishing equipment ranging from lure and jerkbaits to wire traces and foam pop ups. This is something I’ll certainly be remembering as the autumn and winter approaches.


The types of groundbait sold, although plentiful seemed to by heavily focused around the “method”, and they didn’t have the 2 bags I was looking for (Van den Eynde Expo and Secret) which was a little bit disappointing. However this can also be over looked as I also asked for some very specific bits for rigs I plan to make and these were found quickly. I was very impressed with the store and the amount of equipment they had, albeit in a confined space. They also had a very good selection of baits, which included maggots, casters, worms and pinkies (which are being sold more often as the temperature drops off).


Now I have visited the premises and have more knowledge on who to talk to I will certainly be going back there for advice as they seemed to know a lot about the commercial and local fisheries in and around Leeds. I would recommend it to anyone who needed fishing equipment in the Leeds area, as well as any angler who is looking for more specific coarse fishing gear. Ask the right questions and you’ll get some excellent advice too!


Store Rating ****

0 comments:

Post a Comment