The bit you should read.

I’ve always been an angler and after around the country moving I wanted to discover and document the best places to fish (where ever I might be) in the way of rivers, lakes, canals and ponds. When previously fishing in South Wales I often fished in club and winter league matches, however living up north presented me with new challenges, venues and angling clubs that I acquainted myself with. Now down in the South West I plan to do the same.

This fishing blog details my angling adventures around the UK (although depending where I am in the country I also sea fish from both Boat and Shore, Carp, Pike and Fly fish). I will be giving a summary of 3 values considered by most anglers as well as the additional Disabled Access rating. Since being diagnosed with CIDP and regaining my motor function Disabled angling and Disabled access is now something I always consider when visiting venues. They will all be rated on a scale of 1* to 5*;

1. Fishability *****

2. Accessability *****

3. Value for Money *****

4. Disabled Access *****

I think these 4 points are the key issues which are readily identifiable with all anglers. Feel free to take a look and add your own comments along the way!

Saturday 17 May 2014

Tackle Store Review - Revels Tackle Centre

I had heard that Revels fishery had a fairly extensive shop on site, and after looking them up online I found that they were listed as approved Maver Centre of Excellence and Middy stockists (2 of my favourite brands). So I was really keen to have a good look around before starting fishing for the day. In all honesty my first impressions were uncertain ones, as the store itself looked to be a long, large outbuilding rather than a specific tackle shop. Still, I had heard good things, so a slightly less glamorous exterior was never going to put me off.

There were plenty of goodies on the inside at Revels
On entering you can immediately tell that there is a lot going on in this shop> The shelves are piled high with fishing goodies, and I started looking along the walls for tackle box bits which I was sure I would convince myself I needed. As you enter, the wall on the left is packed full of ground baits, pellets and other baits in all different shapes, sizes and brands. The groundbait ranges from species specific to catch all match types (e.g. Expo and Lake 3000 etc). The right hand shelving opposite held more pellets and tackle box accessories (side trays etc), with branded luggage towards the back wall. The back wall itself had a mixture of landing net handles, rod tubes, top kit tubes and rod bags and walking down the opposite aisle there was more of the same. Maver and Middy carryall and holdall on the left, landing nets hanging from the ceiling, with various fishing box accessories on your right. These accessories included umbrella arms, more side trays, multifit bars (compatible with all major brands of fishing boxes and chairs) and foot plates.


On the right and heading towards the counter there was a large amount of Frenzee equipment, ranging from hooklength boxes, cupping kits (which I bought) and pellet bands. There were also baseball hats, foldable groundbait bowls and maggots boxes. On the left there were various types of weighing scales, with slings and mats below them. The counter itself was covered with info leaflets, weighing scales, pots of worms and measuring pots. You can definitely buy bait on this premises...


Hanging off the front of the counter there is the entire range of Maver flat and pear shaped leads with other assorted bits. You could literally spend ages in this shop finding things you never knew you needed. Heading left, looking at the wall opposite the door there is a wall full of match bits. Floats, elastics, shots, stotz, hooks, connectors, rig line, winders, silicone tubing, plummets, feeders, adapters - Everything! The pity was there is so much that there is another counter with shelves in front of you, so you can’t get close enough to have a proper look! Still, I ended up buying Dacron connectors and a replacement elastic as my 8 had seen better days. The reels were displayed behind glass fronted cabinets underneath the counters.

Heading up the aisle on the left, there was a mixed assortment of sea fishing equipment and pike gear. Containing things from, feathers and red gills, to wire traces and lead weights. Along the right hand side there were rods. I didn't have a good look through these, as I was busy working out if there was anything else that I needed, but I could see match rods, quiver tips, universal pole top kits and carp rods. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some beachcasters in the mix too. Leading up to the back wall there were bait tables, trolleys and various folding seats. The back wall held the clothing and waterproofs.

I could have spent a long time going up and down these 3 aisles and think I would have had I not needed to get out and go fishing. I spoke to the chap behind the counter and he was very informative and was full of advice on where to fish on the complex. With 8 lakes to choose from I was grateful to receive any advice I could get. I would definitely recommend the tackle shop at Revels as they seem to have everything you can think of (and even stuff you wouldn't). Whatever your type of fishing, you're bound to find a bargain.

As a rating I would say - ****

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of the interesting post about fishing that have never been shared and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the post. Fishing Tackle

ratman48 said...

Promised myself a visit to. Revellers. Never been . Nothing but positive reviews

Post a Comment