The bit you should read.

I’ve always been an angler and after around the country moving I wanted to discover and document the best places to fish (where ever I might be) in the way of rivers, lakes, canals and ponds. When previously fishing in South Wales I often fished in club and winter league matches, however living up north presented me with new challenges, venues and angling clubs that I acquainted myself with. Now down in the South West I plan to do the same.

This fishing blog details my angling adventures around the UK (although depending where I am in the country I also sea fish from both Boat and Shore, Carp, Pike and Fly fish). I will be giving a summary of 3 values considered by most anglers as well as the additional Disabled Access rating. Since being diagnosed with CIDP and regaining my motor function Disabled angling and Disabled access is now something I always consider when visiting venues. They will all be rated on a scale of 1* to 5*;

1. Fishability *****

2. Accessability *****

3. Value for Money *****

4. Disabled Access *****

I think these 4 points are the key issues which are readily identifiable with all anglers. Feel free to take a look and add your own comments along the way!

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Fishing Basics - Knot Tying - How to tie a Lasso knot

This is just a quick post in response to a question I was asked a few weeks ago when out fishing using Pellets. I was alternating between a few rigs which had various hook set up's (using the pole), these were;
  • A haired 8mm pellet,
  • A banded 6mm pellet, and
  • A lassoed 6mm pellet. 
I was then asked how I tied a lasso knot, as the angler asking didn't have any pellet bands with him. I admitted of the three methods I like the lasso least as I think the presentation of the pellet is not as good, when compared with either the haired or banded approaches. However, I proceeded to show him how I was taught to tie the lasso knot, and for those wondering, here's how you can too!


It is a fairly easy knot to tie to can be achieved in 5 easy steps.






1.  Bring your line together and form a loop.











2. Now you have a formed loop, using the tag (shorter) end of the line, bring it back around, inside the existing loop to form a smaller secondary loop.







3. Once you have the two formed loops thread the tag end though both loops wrapping around both pieces of line (inside both loops) 4 or 5 times (any more and you weaken the knot, causing breakages).








4. Lubricate well, and slowly pull tight on the tag end. This will tighten up the knot, pulling the smaller secondary loop tight, and will leave one remaining loop.







5.  Pulling the tag end tighter will decrease the size in the last remaining loop. This is your lasso - which you can tighten or slacken, allowing you to fish various sized pellets.

There you have it. A lasso knot, which can be used to fish pellets, or any bait which cant be held in place by a tight knot.

The below image is a larger example of the 3 set ups I was using on the day.


Left to right, Banded, Lasso and Standard Hair rig.
If you have any questions about the above, please contact me here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment